BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
Homer Council Report:
Certified Staff Union co-president Cathy Clayton reported that the union had several staff members interested in becoming part of the contract negotiation team. The union has selected contract negotiation representatives. They are hoping to meet with board members before winter break to begin negotiations.
Homer Support Staff Council Report:
Support Staff Union co-president Susan Koziarski reported that the support staff union placed collection boxes at all buildings to collect food for their food drive. All collected food will be donated to a local food pantry.
Leave of Absences:
- Jamie Cabral, 5th grade co-taught teacher at Hadley Middle School, from 4/23/19 - 6/4/19, returning at the start of the following school year
- Erin Fiske, 4th grade teacher at Schilling School, from 3/6/19 to 6/3/19, returning on 6/4/19
- Christine Murphy, K-4 grade math teacher at Schilling School, changed return date to 11/19/18
- Candice Klimson, kindergarten teacher at Schilling School, from 12/3/18 to 2/8/19, returning on 2/11/19 (extension of time absence)
- Jacqueline Gallagher, paraprofessional at Hadley Middle School, from 10/23/18 to 11/23/18
- Janet Sides, paraprofessional at Homer Junior High School, effective 10/18/18
- Brenna Kozor, special education support paraprofessional at Young School, effective 11/28/18
- Lisa Jeszke, special education support paraprofessional at Homer Junior High School, effective 11/28/18
- Anastasia Lavvas, special education support paraprofessional at Hadley Middle School, effective 11/28/18
- Leslie Campins, clerical aide at Hadley Middle School, effective 11/28/18
- Michele Bogdan, instructional aide at Hadley Middle School, effective 11/28/18
- Chris Kosmowski, dispatcher at Transportation, effective 11/28/18
- Cheryl Ferrin, district secretary (Buildings & Grounds), effective 11/28/18
- DeMetre Smith-Cutler, 5th-8th grade wrestling coach at Homer Junior High School, effective 11/28/18
Renee Karalus, Director of Special Services, reported that she had 35 support staff sign up to become registered behavior technicians. She opened this online training to certified staff. As a result, 52 staff members are pursuing this training.
Mrs. Karalus shared that on December 5, Mrs. Laura Sinars, special education lawyer, would be presenting to special education staff on best practices in special education.
Mike Portwood, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources, reported that kindergarten registration will be held on March 14, 2019. Mike reported that this year parents will upload their proof of residency into the short form registration process. As a result, the district can start the residency verification process earlier.
Mr. Portwood also reported that he was working to collect unpaid student registration fees. Currently, the district has collected $2,930 in unpaid fees since taking over the process six weeks ago.
Arlene Siefert, director of Technology, reported that her department is currently conducting a district-wide technology inventory. They have four schools left to complete. In addition, the technology department is updating their disaster recovery plan for district technology infrastructure.
Nathan Baldwin, principal of Young School, reported that parent-teacher conferences were very productive and successful. Mr. Baldwin was pleased that Young parents were using many of the district digital platforms such as Seesaw and Freckle.
Mr. Baldwin stated that Young School honored and celebrated U.S. military veterans with a school-wide Veterans' Day assembly. The assembly was very well received by the whole school community.
Mr. Baldwin shared that Young's yearly student theme is "Reach for the Stars". Also, he reported that Young School is recognizing teachers with the theme of "Star Search" this school year.
Craig Schoppe, Superintendent, reported that November 15 was School Board Recognition Day. Mr. Schoppe thanked the board for their dedication and hard work.
Mr. Schoppe reported on the district's goal of school security. He reported that 32 cameras have been installed in all schools. There are cameras located in all of the schools' main entrances.
Mr. Schoppe reported that he attended two Veterans' Day assemblies. He thanked the staff and students for their efforts to create a special moment for our veterans.
Assistant Superintendent for Instruction, Mike Szopinski, reported on the PARCC student achievement data. He reported that our district's composite score (reading and math) was 52% of our students met or exceeded state learning standards. He reported that there is an achievement gap between our reading and math scores. Overall, 59% of our students met or exceeded learning standards in reading. Whereas, overall, 46% of our students met or exceeded learning standards in math, 13% fewer students than in reading.
Mr. Szopinski stated that, as a district, we need to focus on math instruction and resources to close the achievement gap.
- 1.0 FTE instructional aide at Homer Junior High School.
- Teacher summer scholar stipend
Approved Job Description:.
- Job description for speech/language pathologist
- Karen Lozano, secretary at Hadley Middle School, June 2020 (end of FY20)
- Barbara Fricilone, receptionist at district office, June 3, 2020
- Marian Ploger, bus driver at Transportation, December 31, 2019
- Kristine McMaster, paraprofessional at Goodings Grove School, June 2020 (end of FY20)
- Janina Kornas, custodian at Homer Junior High School, June 30, 2020
- Donna Lewis, paraprofessional at Schilling School, June 30, 2020
- Debra Mason, bus driver, October 29, 2018 (date change)
- Marsha Thompson, paraprofessional at Hadley Middle School, November 30, 2018 (date change)
- Michael J. Haehnlein, Maintenance, March 31, 2019 (date change)
- Michael Risum, bus driver at Transportation, June 30, 2020
- Marie Nagle, social worker at Homer Junior High School, effective at the end of the 2022-2023 school year
- Kimberly Littmann, English teacher at Homer Junior High School, effective at the end of the 2022-2023 school year
- Penny Sierros, 8th grade social studies teacher at Homer Junior High School, effective at the end of the 2022-2023 school year
Approved Board Policy:
- Board Policy 6:135 was approved.
Special Board of Education meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 12, 2018, at 5:00 p.m.
Next regular Board of Education meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 7:00 p.m.