Recognition of Visitors:
● A parent thanked the teachers and administrators for educating her son from early childhood thru 8th grade.
● A parent stressed that students need to return to school.
● Mrs. Schroeder, a Homer 33C teacher, advocated for an electronic option for her club Natural Helpers.
● A parent stressed that we need to follow the science and not the feelings when making a decision to return to school.
● A Homer resident voiced his support for a return to school for his children.
● A parent advocated for a return to in-person learning.
Homer Council Report:
Co-President Tammie Ebel shared that the teacher union and the Remote Learning Task Force were not in agreement with the proposed 5-hour remote learning plan or the blended-learning model.
Homer Support Council:
The support staff council thanked the Remote Learning Task Force, Board of Education, Superintendent Schoppe, and the Homer Council for working diligently on the difficult task of reopening our schools. They trust that everyone involved will create a plan that not only includes educating students, but also takes into account the safety and well-being of students and staff.
Monthly Financial Update: In June, the District spent $4.8M ($4,884,275) and took in $19.6M ($19,693,679), resulting in an increase in our fund balance of 14.8M ($14,809,405 ). We started the month with $23.8M ($23,826,959) and ended the month at $38.6M ($38,636,363.39).
Starting in December, the District's adjusted operating expenditures have been trending under budget, with June ending $3.7M ($3,768,572) under budget. And while the district's adjusted operating revenues had been running higher than projected through May, the month of June ended with yearly revenues coming in lower than expected by - $330K ( -$330,965)
Tentative Budget: The tentative budget was approved and is on display in the District office and posted on the District website. It will be available for inspection from now until the budget hearing, which will be held just prior to the September Board of Education meeting.
● Kari Olson - Third grade teacher at Young - eff. 2020-2021 school year
● Joe Sierra - Director of Buildings and Grounds at Administration - eff. 7/1/2020
● Donna Carey - Bus driver at Transportation - eff. 6/30/20
● Fran Hoak - Lunchroom monitor at Hadley Middle School - eff. 2020-2021 school year
● Suzanna Sopiarz - Paraprofessional at Butler School - eff. August 7, 2020
Approved Resignation for Extra-Curricular Staff:
● Matthew Hull - 6th grade boys' basketball head coach at Hadley Middle School - eff. 2020-2021 school year
● Linda Kaczmarek - 6th grade Art Club after-school program coordinator at Hadley Middle School - eff. 2020-2021 school year
Employment Recommendation(s) for Certified Staff:
● Audrey Prost - Gifted language arts teacher at Hadley Middle School - eff. 8/17/2020,
● Eyad Malley - Transitional program of instruction teacher at Hadley Middle School - eff. 8/17/2020
● Aaron Wurtzel - Physical education teacher at Schilling School - eff. 8/17/2020
● Cara Tomasek - 1st grade teacher at Young School - eff. 8/17/2020
Employment Recommendation(s) Updated ESY 2020 Staff:
Bard, Kristen 5th Cross Cat Teacher, Kolacki, Eileen 2nd/Fazio – Paraprofessional, Baud, Brian Occupational Therapist, Kozor, Brenna EC/Pecci – Paraprofessional, Benton, Melissa K, 1st, 2nd Crost Cat E-Learning Teacher, Kozubowski, Janine S.I./Clarida – Paraprofessional, Leonard, Terese 2nd/Fazio – Paraprofessional, Burke, Debbie S.I./McGowan – Paraprofessional, McCarthy, Jared 4th Cross Cat – Teacher, Bydyk, Yolanda EC/Pecci – Paraprofessional, McElroy, Terese S.I./McGowan – Paraprofessional, Carlson, Carrie 6th/Pozdal – Paraprofessional, McGowan, Kathy S.I./1st-4th Teacher, Clarida, Cari S.I./5th/6th Teacher, Mitra, Paulina Speech/Language, Conrad, Julie Physical Therapist, Moore, Elizabeth 3rd Cross Cat Teacher, Coopman, Katie 2nd, 3rd, 4th Cross Cat E-Learning Teacher, Muellerschoen, Julie 7th/Jilek – Paraprofessional, Corcoran, Annmarie EC Teacher, Muellerschoen, Wendy K/1/Jung – Paraprofessional, Nassar, Suzanne 3rd/Moore – Paraprofessional, DeAngelis, Rachel School Nurse, Osinski, Grace Substitute Paraprofessional, Dempsey, Brittany Occupational Therapist, Fazio, Nicole 2nd - Cross Cat Teacher, Osterkorn, Richard K/1/Jung – Paraprofessional, Fitzgerald, MariClaire S.I./Clarida – Paraprofessional, Pecci, Karissa EC Teacher, Gallagher, Jackie S.I./Clarida – Paraprofessional, Peters, Jeannine Social Worker, Georgiou, Laura Substitute Paraprofessional, Pozdal, Cortny 6th Cross Cat – Teacher, Giovanetti, Laura 7th/Jilek – Paraprofessional, Rachan, Sharon EC/Pecci – Paraprofessional, Grill, Jonathan 5th, 6th, 7th Cross Cat E-Learning Teacher, Salcik, Heintz, Megan S.I/K-3 Teacher Sopiarz, Suzanna S.I./Heintz – Paraprofessional, Hoak, Megan 5th/Bard – Paraprofessional, Hoffman, Mary Lynn 4th/McCarthy – Paraprofessional, Yahl, Alexandria EC/Corcoran - Paraprofessional
Craig Schoppe shared the return to school plan with the Board. The presentation will be attached in an email.
● adoption of the updated 2020-2021 District calendar
● FY21 tentative budget
● The 2020-2021 Return to School Plan
● A final resolution for the preservation of interest income FY20 in the Educational Fund, Operations and Maintenance Fund, Debt Service Fund, Transportation Fund, Capital Projects Fund and Working Cash Fund
● MOU to modify Article 6 section 6.8 of the 2020-2025 Homer 33C Support Staff Union Collective Bargaining Agreement.
● Board policy updates and/or adoptions: First and second read of the policies: 2:160, 2:220, 2:220-E9, 4:180, 4:20, 7:40, 7:190, 7:340, 7:34
● Policy 4:182 was tabled.
● Transfer $795.75 from the Young School Student Related Account to the Field Trip Account, $411.95 from the Young School Student Related Account to the Assemblies Account to close out the Field trip and assembly accounts, and $4,810.25 from the Young School PTO fund account to the Young School General Account Fund.
The suspension of all extra-curricular sports and club activities through October 23, 2020, and suspension of the stipend for those activities.
Approved the Recommendation for Employment:
● Interim Director of Buildings and Grounds at Administration.
● Changing job positions to Technology Specialist.
Approved Closed Session Items:
● Separation of employment
● The recommendation to maintain Closed Session minutes as closed to the public
● Destroy all verbatim minutes older than eighteen (18) months
A Special Board Meeting will be held on Thursday, August 13, 2020, at 7:00 p.m.